The most recent QI

The "I'm Thinking" now thread
Corm
Knife wielding maniac ... haaaaah hah

The most recent QI

Post by Corm »

There was a bit on the recent QI (Infantile) that mentioned a Woman in Dunfermline who had read over 20k books (mostly Mills and Boon) from her local library, something like 7 a week. Anyway it got me thinking how many books I have read. Discounting text books and childrens stories I reckon I've read over a thousand but I have no real idea, I have managed to count 137 Warhammer books, 124 AD&D ones (I really didnt realise I had read so many of those or that there were so many ive read 23 Dragonlance ones alone!) and over 200 (!) of US various fantasy novelists (Margaret Wise &/ Tracy Hickman, Eddings, Feist, McCaffery and so on). It has taken me about 2 hours to work this all out and what I started in my head ended up with me writing a list, then another list, then scrapping that and making another list...as it happens I gave up at 550ish, it could have been 450ish or 650ish im not sure which and why I gave up (again!).

So anway, out of curiosity how many books have you read or at least do you think you have read, roughly.
Corm

Re: The most recent QI

Post by Corm »

I should have done the list in word pad so that I could upload it and add to it. Bugger!
Haviland
Volvo-Driving Soccer Mom

Post by Haviland »

Mmm, for a long time (before kids), I read at least a book a day, so over 10K books read.

A lot of them, I read more than once.
Corm

Post by Corm »

Good point I have read every Terry Pratchett novel except the kids ones Snuff and Maurice and his amazing rodents at least twice some 4 or 5 times. Same goes for a lot of the GW series, Iain M Banks and uhh head hurts.

Never managed a book a day though. Quickest time without trying to read fast was the follow up to Konrad novel by David Ferring called Shadowbreed. Read it from the Sat morning till the Sunday night.
Mortorin
Captain Pugwash

Post by Mortorin »

Not that many for me I dont think - hundreds certainly, but over a thousand . . . probably not
If at first you dont succeed, excessive force is probably the answer

Dunwa
The Taker Of The Holy Tags and Bar

Post by Dunwa »

Probably in the same league as Mort. Do Beta instructions count ? Read most of the Steve Jackson &
Ian Livingstone adventure books countless times.
Dunwa Arche
Haviland
Volvo-Driving Soccer Mom

Post by Haviland »

Corm wrote:Good point I have read every Terry Pratchett novel except the kids ones Snuff and Maurice and his amazing rodents at least twice some 4 or 5 times. Same goes for a lot of the GW series, Iain M Banks and uhh head hurts.

Never managed a book a day though. Quickest time without trying to read fast was the follow up to Konrad novel by David Ferring called Shadowbreed. Read it from the Sat morning till the Sunday night.
For many years I spent about two hours on the bus every day - easy to work through a book in that time.
Wyvern
Captain Pugwash

Post by Wyvern »

Haviland wrote:
Corm wrote:Good point I have read every Terry Pratchett novel except the kids ones Snuff and Maurice and his amazing rodents at least twice some 4 or 5 times. Same goes for a lot of the GW series, Iain M Banks and uhh head hurts.

For many years I spent about two hours on the bus every day - easy to work through a book in that time.
Is this what you did for fun before you started playing computer games?
They got things like the atom bamb... so I'm gonna stay where I... AM!
Corm

Post by Corm »

Dunwa wrote:Probably in the same league as Mort. Do Beta instructions count ? Read most of the Steve Jackson &
Ian Livingstone adventure books countless times.
You have probably read more than you think. Steve Jackson, Ian Livingstone and Terry Pratchett alone will come out around 60 - 80 books total. Add in say Iain Banks (25 or so) or Robert Rankin (33) or say Philip K Dick (around 50 depending) and your over a 100 easy. The Horus Heresy novels alone are up to 19 I think already.
Haviland
Volvo-Driving Soccer Mom

Post by Haviland »

Wyvern wrote:
Is this what you did for fun before you started playing computer games?
You complain about 30sec loading times for a BF map? You have no idea...
Wyvern
Captain Pugwash

Post by Wyvern »

My old Amstrad had a cassette drive!
They got things like the atom bamb... so I'm gonna stay where I... AM!
Haviland
Volvo-Driving Soccer Mom

Post by Haviland »

We had to load our save games on punch cards...
boabyfett
Vyvyan Basterd

Post by boabyfett »

Haviland wrote:We had to load our save games on punch cards...
LOL
B

"This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence."
Dunwa
The Taker Of The Holy Tags and Bar

Post by Dunwa »

I remember when magazines that came with a "free game" meant having to spend hours copying 4 pages of basic and then spenHoughton 2 hours debugging it all to watch a line move across a screen
Dunwa Arche
Mortorin
Captain Pugwash

Post by Mortorin »

I remember those days D
If at first you dont succeed, excessive force is probably the answer