The "I'm Thinking" now thread
DeadElvis
2nd Lieutenant

Post by DeadElvis »

Ok. So we've got CCTV everywhere. We've got an invisible enemy (terrorists) in a never-ending war. We've got a Ministry of Truth where history is being re-written (reasons for going to war in Iraq). We are becoming more powerless to make change happen in our country/the world. We are losing more and more freedom in the interest of 'public safety'. There are tons of parallels between the book and now when u start looking.

It's coming guys, it's coming...
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever
Well, actually, maybe I was wrong... I love Big Brother.
Nah, I'm lying, I fecking hate it. Made it through all of the recent series without seeing any more than 10 seconds of it. Still know who was in it though... since when is BB news...?
Hold on... maybe Big Brother is the first step to getting cctv cameras in our houses. It's a government conspiracy! People start to think it's a great idea and entertaining to have cameras all over their houses and agree to let it be done to them!

Oh god, and I've typed this on a pc belonging to the government!!! They're coming to take me away, haha hoho heehee!!!
Lisa, if the bible has taught us anything - and it hasn't - it's that girls should stick to girl's sports, such as hot-oil wrestling, foxy boxing and such and such.
Dunwa
The Taker Of The Holy Tags and Bar

Post by Dunwa »

Have you just finished reading "The Traveler" by John TwelveHawks
Dunwa Arche
Haviland
Volvo-Driving Soccer Mom

Post by Haviland »

Dunwa wrote:Have you just finished reading "The Traveler" by John TwelveHawks
Someone reccoemneded that to me the other day. Must get round to finding a copy.
Corm
Knife wielding maniac ... haaaaah hah

Re: 1984

Post by Corm »

DeadElvis wrote:Ok. So we've got CCTV everywhere. We've got an invisible enemy (terrorists) in a never-ending war. We've got a Ministry of Truth where history is being re-written (reasons for going to war in Iraq). We are becoming more powerless to make change happen in our country/the world. We are losing more and more freedom in the interest of 'public safety'. There are tons of parallels between the book and now when u start looking.

It's coming guys, it's coming...
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever
Well, actually, maybe I was wrong... I love Big Brother.
Nah, I'm lying, I fecking hate it. Made it through all of the recent series without seeing any more than 10 seconds of it. Still know who was in it though... since when is BB news...?
Hold on... maybe Big Brother is the first step to getting cctv cameras in our houses. It's a government conspiracy! People start to think it's a great idea and entertaining to have cameras all over their houses and agree to let it be done to them!

Oh god, and I've typed this on a pc belonging to the government!!! They're coming to take me away, haha hoho heehee!!!
:lol:

You my just be right. I feel like im being watched even as I type this...

More seriously although it was said as a joke I fear you sort of have a point, course its our (as in the UK publics) own fault for not voting (only slightly over 50% of people vote).
Wyvern
Captain Pugwash

Post by Wyvern »

Voting doesn't help anyway... IIRC Labour 'won' with less than 30% of the national vote...
They got things like the atom bamb... so I'm gonna stay where I... AM!
Dunwa

Post by Dunwa »

Haviland wrote:
Dunwa wrote:Have you just finished reading "The Traveler" by John TwelveHawks
Someone reccoemneded that to me the other day. Must get round to finding a copy.
Think it's going cheap in WH Smiths. Very good pulp scifi but part 1 of 3. the other two are yet to be released
Dunwa Arche
Corm

Post by Corm »

Wyvern wrote:Voting doesn't help anyway... IIRC Labour 'won' with less than 30% of the national vote...
Voting does help its the fact that almost half the population doesnt that makes it not work. Many Welshmen died to get you the vote you should support it. :P
Wyvern
Captain Pugwash

Post by Wyvern »

Corm wrote:
Wyvern wrote:Voting doesn't help anyway... IIRC Labour 'won' with less than 30% of the national vote...
Voting does help its the fact that almost half the population doesnt that makes it not work. Many Welshmen died to get you the vote you should support it. :P
:lol:

My point is our current voting system doesn't work. Even if everyone voted a party can win and form an overpowering government on a minority vote.
Corm

Post by Corm »

Your right but I wasnt going to let it stand in the way of humour.

We should adopt the original Ancient Greek idea of democracy. Which is candidates chosen by Lot then elected by Ballot. I can see all the flaws so there is no need to point them out but I dont see how Jimmy the Smack Addict gadge from Marryhill would be any worse than Ton*snip* (this post has been censored by HM Govt.) :wink:
Wyvern
Captain Pugwash

Post by Wyvern »

Ha! I'm private sector so I can say what I like about the government.

Oh look at the helicopter in the car par*SIGNAL LOST*
Dunwa

Post by Dunwa »

I just want a box I can tick that says "none of the above"
Dunwa Arche